Friday, April 24, 2009

Thanks, Mom





I used the idea from that magazine article you sent to make these "cozies" for the set of glasses that Steve gave me for Christmas. I think the design was intended to be used for hot drinks, but I hope that they will work for cold-beverage-sweating, too.


Other fiber updates:


-no more progress on the lace circular shawl. I started the lace border three times and had to rip it out ... having trouble reading the chart. Who designed this thing, anyway? Oh, right.

-Finished the baby sweater for my WA friends - finally! Now I need to start one for our new family baby ... waiting to find out if "it" is a boy or a girl! (That would be Tom and Amber's)

-Started some fingerless mitts to match a scarf I wove quite a while ago. Thinking I might either sell the set, or gift them to someone. I owe Terri something, but she says she doesn't like wool, and I just don't know what to do with that ... hmmmm. I'll post some pictures when they're done.

-My friend Amy aquired three Navajo-Churro fleeces from her sister, who raises the sheep, and together we have been washing and carding and sampling them. I have a few photos of the fleece I have, in the washing process:


Above, the whole fleece as I received it. There are two distinct "layers" to this fleece, with a long, grey/blonde course outer fleece:


and a shorter, softer, brown layer next to the skin:



and it was dir-ty! Holy Cow:

That's from the first cold-water soak - in our bathtub. Isn't my husband a dear for putting up with this kind of yuck in his bathtub, all for the sake of his wife's peculiar hobby? I think so.




OK, I guess that is enough for now. I have a bunch of projects going that I haven't even mentioned here yet. This spring has been all about starting new projects - I haven't finished very much lately! But I am having a great time letting the creative juices flow, enjoying the process, not worrying too much about the finished product. I would like to catalog everything I am doing on this blog, at least for myself (not sure if my readers are interested or not!), but I am too busy Doing, to take the time to Photograph and Blog about everything. But it's all good, as the kids say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the fiber update--the colors for the glasses are perfect and should soak up the sweat! You talked about the fleece but we didn't quite have the picture in mind. You've got a lot of work ahead of you!
The Rents