Monday, September 15, 2008

What's so special about September 15th?

Well, it was our 7th wedding anniversary. And, it started out looking like this:



A little later on, the crew showed up to put in the septic system for the new house!! The excavator operator let Levi drive for a few moments before the real work started.


I don't know when you usually mark the official "breaking ground" day for a housebuilding, but I am going to say that day is today - as it will be easy for us to remember. The trees came down a couple of weeks ago. As I write that, I realize that I took pictures of it, and intended to blog it, and then didn't! Oops, sorry. Life gets in the way, you know.





















Anyway, later in the day, there was some loafing in the web swing (as the boys call it - also known as a hammock.) Steve took the day off to hang out with us, and unfortunately Riley missed all of this fun.


The well should be going in this week also. I don't know the timeline on the rest of it (like the actual house - heh) but I think it is going to happen pretty quickly. For some reason, I had the idea that this was going to take seven months - I swear that is what we were talking about when I first got to Virginia and we were talking about doing a modular house. Then the plan veered off into another direction, and kind of lost momentum. Now we are back on the modular idea, in fact, Steve Sr. has signed the deal and the project is underway. Steve Jr. and I are going to take over the financing as soon as our house in WA is sold - KNOCK WOOD - at the end of this month. (We got escrow papers, filled them out and signed them, that process is still going fine as far as I know.)

So with the modular, one crew builds the foundation, while another is building the house in another location, in sections, and then it is delivered and ... I don't know ... glued together. Might sound funky to you, but it really does make a nice house. And quickly. Like 7 or 8 WEEKS, rather than months! YOU MEAN WE COULD HAVE BEEN DONE BY NOW??!! Oops, did I say that out loud?
You can see the basic plans here. Only not yellow. And we will not build the garage right away. The first floor will be finished (with two bedrooms) and we will finish the second floor as we are able, with a bathroom and two more rooms. Exciting, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, check out those house plans, that is sooo wonderful!!! Look at all those built-in closets!! Did you opt for the shower or bath in the master bath? I want to know all the details...like when can I come stay??????????
Plus what did you do in a previous life to deserve such beautiful weather??? I am so jealous I can't stand it, Levi is half naked and looks perfectly warm and happy!!!!
Happy Anniversary, I forgot all about mine til mom sent me an ecard...so surely you didn't expect me to remember yours???
XO

Anonymous said...

PS The reason most people who are less detail-oriented (and tenacious) than me cannot access your house plans from your link is that you typed "//http//" twice. Just delete one of them and the rest of you will be able to see the plans too!!!

Tracy Sadtler said...

Sorry about the //http// thing - I did a quick cut and paste with the url and didn't notice that it was already there.

I believe we have opted for a shower instead of the bath tub - I can always go to the other bathroom for that, right?

And what do you mean a previous life?? Haven't I done enough in THIS life to deserve some good weather?

Anonymous said...

Yea, good point. Just because I haven't done anything to merit good weather in this life, doesn't mean no one else has!!! haha