Friday, December 12, 2008

A Big Day

Maybe THE Big Day.

It was June 12th of this year, the day that we finished packing up our house in Buckley, WA. The day that we locked the padlock on our truck-full-of-stuff, closed up the house, and headed for the airport. No, now that I think about it, it was the 11th that we headed for the airport, but it was the 12th that we flew, and it was the 12th that our truck was picked up by the moving company to begin its' trip to Norfolk. I didn't know where we were going to end up at the time, it could have been just about anywhere in Virgina, Maryland, Delaware, or even Pennsylvania. But in the end, we settled right across the street from Steve's parents, with Steve's job just a 15 minute drive away.

And today, exactly 6 months to the day from when our truck left Buckley, it is being delivered to our new home. Not that it is actually our home yet, but we are working on that technicality. But before the truck comes (sometime between 9am and 5pm, they tell me) I am going to unpack the ceremonial First Box.

A couple of months after we moved out of Buckley, but well before the house actually sold, our real estate agent was in our kitchen looking for the spare keys we told here were there. She opened the drawer next to the stove, and there was all of my cooking utensils and some of my favorite knives - we had missed packing the whole drawer contents! She packed up the stuff, and mailed it to me. And I have had it here, in one corner of my in-law's guest room, waiting for this day.

There is a lot of stuff even in a modest three-bedroom house, and I may not unpack the last box for weeks or even months, but today I unpack the first one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was very nice of you not to mention that the "we" who forgot to pack that drawer was your own Mom and Dad. Santa will notice, and you've been nice!

Mom