Friday, August 29, 2008

Again with the crabs

OK, the rest of the process. Brace yourselves, it gets messy. Here we are, in the kitchen with the crabs in the pot.


We add a cup of water, a cup of vinegar, and some Old Bay seasoning. The crabs don't like it.





(Hope that worked, I haven't done video yet!)
Then we put them on the stove, 5 minutes on high to get the steam going, and then another 25 - 30 minutes to steam. And of course, they turn red.

And that's when it really gets messy. I dump the crabs into the sink to drain and cool a bit, and then clean them. I take one in my hand like this:


...and then pop the top shell off, exposing all of the glop and yucky stuff inside:



Clean out all of the gunk and the gills and the skirt (underneath), and it looks like this:




A wee bit more cleaning, and a last sprinkle of Old Bay, and they are ready for the table.


And then you have to pick them! Does this seem like a lot of work to you? Believe me, it is worth it.

No comments: