Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A little more about the crabs

As I have mentioned, we can get blue-claw crabs right out of the creek here. I am sort of an apprentice crabber, and the boys and I have been perfecting our technique over the last few weeks. Here's Levi and I heading out to the dock, cookpot at the ready, to see what we have in the crab pots.





(I had to put in both of those photos - I just couldn't decide which was cuter.) He is holding some large tongs, used to encourage the crabs out of the crabpot, or to catch one trying to skitter across the dock and back into the water.

Here's the crabpot (the trap) and our catch for the day:



Not a bad haul! You can see how much Levi enjoys this. We shake them right out of the crabpot into the cookpot after a good rinse with the hose, and then it is straight into the kitchen for cooking. I keep forgetting to get pictures of the rest of the process, as it gets progressively messier, but I have another opportunity coming up, as the pots are baited and back in the water as I write this. So you will see the rest of the process in a few days - stay tuned!

No comments: